Monday, November 28, 2011

Surgery Recovery

Alexis is in her room recovering.
Since the last time I posted . . .
10:50 am - off the heart-lung bypass
11: 10 am - another esphogael echo to measure the progress/outcome of the surgery
11:45 am - surgery is finished and she is moved to her room in CVICU and Alexis is still doing great

We spoke with both Dr. Nigro (cardiac surgeon) and Dr. Jedeikin (cardiologist) after the surgery and they said that the surgery went great. He removed a great amount of bad/scar like tissue from underneath her pulmonary valve (PV) in the right ventricle. They evaluated the pulmonary valve and decided not to do anything to it in fear that if they did something to it she could get a great amount of leakage which would cause different problems. Dr. J isn't really sure why the bad tissue grew and grew so fast and he said it's a rather unusual case. Overall, they are happy with the outcome, the stenosis (narrowing) in the PV is mild-moderate and they feel it should be very tolerable.

We were so happy to see our little girl. She seems to be recovering well. She was taken off the ventalator in the OR so that is a good sign that she wants & is breathing on her own. The staff are now just monitoring her fluid output and meds. She's mostly sleeping and waking a little every hour to say a few words and open her eyes. She is such a brave little heart hero.

9 comments:

Maria said...

Yeah! - Go Lexi! What a super trooper - and thank God it went great. I am so happy to hear that. Thank you so much for updating the site.

Frances Krivicich said...

Great news!!! So thankful!!! She's an angel!!

jotool said...

I am so happy to hear that Lexi is doing so good. Thank you for keeping us up to date!!! I will continue to keep checking in to see your updates and Mom and Lois have also both called to keep me updated as well. I know their has been many prayers said for Lexi and family, even Trevor and Trystin have been praying!!! Please give Lexi many hugs and kisses from all of us!!! Love, Jenny, Tom, Trevor and Trystin

Jami said...

Great news! Continue to pray for a quick recovery!

kym said...

I am so glad it went well and Lexi is recovering comfortably!! That is grat news! Isie has had mild-moderate stenosis in her pulmonary valve for a couple of years now and you can tell how much that slows her down :) I'm keeping you all in my thoughts!
-kym

Amy said...

That is such great news! Lexi is such a strong little girl. We will keep Lexi and your family in our thoughts and prayers as she recovers. Thanks so much for keeping us updated.

Jadyn's Jewelbox said...

We are thrilled to hear that Lexi did well. We knew she would. How long will she be in the hospital? We're thinking of you. xoxo, Loren, Keith, Jadyn & Justin

Lynda said...

We are so glad to hear that Lexi is doing well! Thank you so much for adding us to receive updates; you guys had been on my mind recently - now I know why. We will continue to pray for you all during Lexi's recovery.

Tricia said...

I am glad surgery went well. I am praying her recovery goes smoothly. Keep us posted. Your blog is beautiful by the way. I love the Pic of the two girls at the top.