Well some may call this bragging, and maybe it is, but when Alexis looks back at all these posts someday I want her to know how very proud we are of her as a two year old.
Yesterday, we attended the 2010 Family Day HeartTalk at the local zoo. It is a symposium for parents of children with congenital heart defects. A local non-profit organization (Nick & Kelly Children's Heart Fund) sponsors the meeting each year, bringing in knowledgeable doctors and speakers to speak on different topics regarding CHD. This was our first year to attend. They had free child care on-site provided by local hospital nurses which was nice because we were able to bring Alexis. The meeting was phenomenal! We had a great time mingling with other "heart" parents and we learned a lot.
It also, appears that Alexis had a great time playing with the volunteers, as well. We went to pick her up after our meetings and the volunteers told us she was great and was the happiest kid ever. She sang and danced for them (what a ham). We didn't think much of their kind remarks and went on our way, thankful that they said kind things about our daughter. And then today, the phone rings . . . The conversation goes a little something like this . . . "Hello, this is Margaret from the Nick & Kelly Children's Heart Fund, (I am like, oh gosh, what does she need - did we forget something at the meeting). I wanted to call you today, to let you know that for the first time ever I had a volunteer say to me, 'I met the nicest and politest little girl today.' I asked her if she remembered her name and she said she couldn't remember her first name but her last name was R*hl. I want you to know no volunteer has ever said this about any of the kids as long as we have been doing this. Your daughter left such an impression on so many of our volunteers that I thought you should know what a great job you are doing at raising her." I said, "Well, thank you very much, that means the world to me especially since she is only two years old." Margaret finishes the conversation with, "Whatever you guys are doing, you are doing right and you should be very proud of her!" I thanked her again for her kind words and taking the time to make the call. Can you believe this? This lady was nice enough to take time to call me and tell me this the day after the event. I hung up the phone and Rick asked me who was that, I guess I still had a surprised look on my face. I tell him the conversation and both of us sat there still not believing what had just happened. I almost told Margaret, are you sure you have the right little girl???? I know other parents have these times throughout their children's childhood, but this was obviously our first time to have our daughter be so recognized that we are just so ecstatic about it. This means that even through all of our naughty chair times and warnings to little Lexi that something is sinking in and even if she doesn't always show us her best behavior she does show other caretakers and I am so thankful for that. Thank you Lexi for being the nicest and politest little girl when you are with others! We love you and couldn't be more proud of you!
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Proud Parents!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment